Keep Your Pet Safe: Poison Prevention

While your home is intended to keep your pet safe, there are many potential hazards that exist. Being proactive in recognizing where there are risks and how you can prevent them can go a long way in protecting your animals. A major concern for dogs and cat is accidental poisoning. Products that are safe for humans are not necessarily safe for animals.

Clean Up, Lock Up

Whenever you are using cleaning products, make sure to keep your pet out of the area and wipe up any spills immediately. If they should happen to step in a cleaning solution and then lick it off of their fur, it can be potentially toxic. Make sure that lids are closed tightly, and all products are locked away out of reach.

The same applies to medication. Don’t leave medication sitting out for someone. Wait to get it until they are ready to take it. That way your pet doesn’t swipe pills off of the table or knock over liquid in a cup.

If you are putting out fertilizer, pesticides, or rodent poison, keep your pet away. You don’t want them to accidentally ingest any of these chemicals. Pay attention if your pet is in the garage or outside with you so they don’t get into anything they shouldn’t be in.

Be Aware of Plants

Plants can make your home feel more welcoming and cozy, but make sure you check that they are pet-friendly. Some popular species of plants can be potentially fatal. A few of these include:

  • Aloe
  • Azaleas
  • Carnations
  • Chrysanthemums
  • Daffodils
  • Ferns
  • Ivy
  • Lemon Grass
  • Lilies
  • Poinsettias

Be Cautious About Table Food

Ideally, your pet should stick to a diet of dog or cat food that is well-balanced and provides the nutrition they need. While some foods like fresh broccoli, carrots, or apples can be a healthy treat, others can be dangerous. Avoid giving your pet foods such as:

  • Grapes
  • Raisins
  • Chocolate
  • Peanut butter, gum, or candy with xylitol
  • Mushrooms
  • Macadamia nuts

Signs of Potential Poisoning

Accidents can happen in the blink of an eye. You never know when your pet might get into something they shouldn’t have, or something you didn’t realize was toxic to them. Here are some warning signs to look out for that may indicate poisoning:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Excessive thirst
  • Appetite loss
  • Heavy panting
  • Difficulty breathing
  • Loss of consciousness/Confusion
  • Weakness/Lethargy

If your pet shows any of these symptoms, especially if you suspect they may have eaten or drank something potentially poisonous, contact your veterinarian or the ASPCA animal poison control center (888-426-4435) immediately. It is important to get them help as soon as possible.

Keep your pet out of trouble while you’re busy working or away by boarding them at Lake Wylie Pet Resort. You can have peace of mind that they are in a safe, secure environment and being cared for by trained staff. Book your pet’s next stay by contacting us today!