Pet Poison Prevention Tips You Should Know

Dogs and cats can be very curious creatures. Turn your back for a moment, and they’re into something. Look away, and your plate is licked clean. Just as you safeguard your home to keep kids away from potentially poisonous substances, you should do the same for your pet. There are plenty of foods and products around your home that you may not have even thought about when considering what is safe or unsafe.

Here are a few to keep in mind:


There are a lot of foods that are healthy to give your pet such as broccoli or carrots, but other items can be dangerous. Keep chocolate, grapes, raisins, yeast dough, macadamia nuts, onions, and anything containing xylitol (including some peanut butters and most sugar-free gums and candies) out of reach! Put items in cabinets that your pet can’t get into, push them to the back of the counter, seal them in plastic containers, and pay attention to your plate when eating.

Cleaning Products

While it may seem weird that your dog or cat would lap up some cleaning solution, it can happen if they are left out in the open, spilled, or have an enticing scent. They could drink water that has a cleaning product mixed in as well or accidentally eat a detergent pod. Remember to carefully read warning labels and know which products are potentially toxic.


If you’re putting out bait traps or spraying for pests, make sure to do so away from your pets. Place baits in hard-to-reach areas and avoid using traps with peanut butter. If you have to spray, close off the area to pets until the solution has dried and you know it’s safe.


Believe it or not, there are plenty of pets who get into over-the-counter medications, vitamins, or supplements. While safe for humans, they can be toxic to your pet, especially in larger quantities. Never leave medication sitting out or throw pills into a trashcan; it’s far too easy for your dog or cat to quickly swipe them up. If your pet needs medication, only use those prescribed specifically by their veterinarian.


Beware of any plants or flowers you bring into your home. Just a little nibble on the wrong kind of plant can leave your pet incredibly ill. Some especially dangerous ones include lilies, daffodils, tulips, sago palms, and yew. Though beautiful to look at, you may want to think twice about keeping them in pots or vases around the house. If you do have them, keep them out of reach.

Everyday Objects

Other objects around your home can pose a risk, too. These include things like batteries, glow sticks, glue, potpourri, and yarn or string. It’s easy to forget about these things and leave them laying around. Be alert to areas where your pet frequents, and know how high they can reach or jump and what types of things they can get into (bags, boxes, purses, cabinets, etc.).

If your pet experiences vomiting, diarrhea, convulsions, lethargy, or trouble breathing, there is a chance they may have consumed a toxic substance. Call your veterinarian or a pet poison control center immediately to find out how to respond. You can also take them to a pet emergency center for assistance. Gather as much information as you can about what they ingested.

Worried about your pet being home alone while you’re away or at work and getting into something they shouldn’t? Sign them up for doggie daycare at Lake Wylie Pet Resort! Have the peace of mind knowing that they’re having fun with other dogs and staying out of trouble. Contact us today for more information.