Do you hate walking away as your dog stares longingly out the window at you or barks at the door? Good news! June 17-21 is Take Your Pet to Work Week, and June 21 is Take Your Dog to Work Day! Okay, so maybe it’s only good news if your employer allows dogs in the office, but there can actually be a lot of benefits to pet-friendly workplaces.
- Reduced Stress
There is something very calming about petting a dog, and research has shown that it can reduce blood pressure and stress levels. Dogs are also full of love without judgment. They are great listeners and just want to please. So when you’re having a rough time, spending a few minutes unwinding with a dog can provide some much needed stress relief and compassion. Plus, being around a cute pup can boost your mood too.
- Increased Productivity
While it may take a little bit of time to adjust to having a canine companion in the office, overall, it can help to increase productivity. It encourages employees to take short breaks, which can help them to refocus and reduce burnout. A quick walk outside with a dog can leave you feeling more energized and alert as well, meaning you’re ready to tackle more tasks.
- Improved Socialization
Having a pet-friendly office can also stimulate more socialization and create a friendlier environment. It gives co-workers something in common to talk about and can connect people who otherwise might not have much interaction. Dogs can also help to reduce tension allowing employees to communicate more effectively.
But before you go strapping on your dog’s leash and making them a place next to your desk, double-check with your employer (and co-workers) that it is okay to bring your dog in. You don’t want to traumatize anyone who is terrified of dogs, or set off any allergic reactions.
If you are allowed to bring your dog in, here are some things to take into consideration:
- Make sure they are well-behaved and trained so that they don’t do more harm than good. You don’t want your dog running around, barking like crazy and keeping everyone from getting their work done.
- Keep them freshly groomed so they are soft, clean, and not leaving a massive trail of fur behind.
- Ensure that all of their vaccinations are current and they are in good health.
- Bring food, treats, toys, and few comfort items from home so they are prepared for the day too and can settle in.
- Pet-proof the office a bit so your dog isn’t getting into anything that it shouldn’t or making a mess of things.
Not allowed to bring your dog in? Don’t worry, we’re happy to welcome your pet at work with us! Lake Wylie Pet Resort offers a full array of services from doggie daycare and boarding to grooming. Your dog can have a fun-filled day socializing with other animals and being well cared for by our amazing staff. Contact us today to learn more or schedule an appointment for your pet.